Wednesday, November 11, 2015

PSA on Crayons for Wax Play

i thought i would add a little info about what i did with the crayons for the sake of completeness.

I purchased silicone mini muffin cups for melting the crayons and melted the crayons in a water bath in the oven. The oven was set at 150 degrees and i checked them every 10 minutes.

After 40 minutes, some of the crayons were a nice liquid, some where still fairly solid or had solids still in them and one had barely begun to melt at all.I eliminated the ones with solids and the unmelted one from my optional colors on the theory that 150 was too hot for me, and not hot enough for those particular crayons. And while i do enjoy intense sensations i don’t enjoy burns. :)

I tested each of the colors on my skin for heat/temperature, first on the outside of my wrist, then on the inside. Then i started my fun. :)

The wax goes on hot, but it cools very quickly. And once cooled it was very hard and brittle. This had some unexpected yummy side effects in that any time i shifted or moved it pulled up from my skin, nice tugging sensations. Other waxes i’ve played with are much softer and more flexible once they've cooled and don’t pull at your skin in the same way.

I tried painting with them on my skin, but they cooled and hardened too quickly and there was not a lot of heat transferred. So i went almost immediately to picking up the cups and  drizzling the wax onto my skin. mmmm.

Love, love, love the rivulets of heat snaking over my skin. Love the way the colors were so vibrant and intense. Love the way they layered over each other without losing their brightness. 

It would have been especially nice, i think, to have the wax removed with a knife, but alas, i was experimenting alone. :(

And even more sad, about 10 minutes after the wax was removed, and before the pink had even begun to leave my skin, i had an allergic reaction to what i assume was something in one of the waxes.

i’m allergy prone, and have a few pretty serious ones, and i’m not willing to skirt the edges of my allergies as part of play. Some cetirizine and several puffs from an emergency inhaler set me right, but i don’t think i will be playing with crayons again. sigh.

So here’s the PSA part of things:

  • If you have to heat it higher than about 150 degrees to melt it, be cautious putting it on your skin. Perhaps try dropping it from a greater height. You’ll get splashy spots that way vs. rivulets, but it will cool it some on it’s way down. Test it first!
  • Test each color individually before you pour it on yourself or a playmate.Different ingredients have different melt points and pouring something hot and adhering onto the skin can cause serious burns.
  • Be aware if the wax is pooling in any location, the heat is pooling there too and can increase to the point of causing burns.
  •  Be aware when using something like crayons that you do not know all of the ingredients in the product and it may cause an allergic reaction.


That’s about it. This would have been amazing as part of a scene, but experimenting is fun too. i would absolutely play more with crayons if it weren't for the allergies, but anaphylaxis can ruin a good time, lol. :)

Play safe and have fun!

~sandi

originally posted on my tumblr. here



No comments:

Post a Comment